VIDEO SHOWS: FILE FOOTAGE OF CARLO ANCELOTTI AT REAL MADRID AND AT HIS CURRENT CLUB, EVERTON
MADRID, SPAIN (FILE – JUNE 26, 2013) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
1. VARIOUS OF NEW REAL MADRID COACH CARLO ANCELOTTI POSING WITH REAL MADRID JERSEY WITH HIS NAME ON IT NEXT TO REAL MADRID PRESIDENT FLORENTINO PEREZ
3. ANCELOTTI POSING NEXT TO FORMER REAL MADRID PLAYER AND CURRENT DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL ZINEDINE ZIDANE
4. ANCELOTTI POSING WITH OFFICIALS
MADRID, SPAIN (FILE – SEPTEMBER 21, 2013) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
5. REAL MADRID TRAINING SESSION
MADRID, SPAIN (FILE – MAY 25, 2014) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
7. BUS CARRYING REAL MADRID’S SQUAD ARRIVING AT CIBELES PLAZA WITH THOUSANDS OF FANS CHEERING IN STREET
8. PLAYERS ON BUS FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: SERGIO RAMOS, CRISTIANO RONALDO AND PEPE NEXT TO TROPHY WITH MARCELO ON END OF BUS AT IT ARRIVES IN CIBELES
9. PLAYERS ON BUS WITH XABI ALONSO TWIRLING JERSEY IN AIR AND CONFETTI FLYING
10. FANS CHEERING
11. CRISTIANO RONALDO APPLAUDING
12. GARETH BALE HOLDING TROPHY IN AIR
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE – DECEMBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
13. NEW EVERTON MANAGER CARLO ANCELOTTI HOLDING EVERTON JERSEY ON PITCH (2 SHOTS)
15. ANCELOTTI HOLDING UP EVERTON SCARF ON PITCH
STORY: Prosecutors in Madrid said on Monday (June 22) they had indicted Italian soccer coach Carlo Ancelotti on suspicion of avoiding 1 million euros ($1.12 million) in taxes due for revenues from image rights while coaching Real Madrid between 2014-15.
Ancelotti, who now coaches English Premier League side Everton, could not be reached for comment.
The Madrid Community Prosecutor’s office said in a statement Ancelotti had concealed revenues “intending to avoid his tax duties towards the public treasury with no justification.”
As well as working for Real Madrid and Everton, Ancelotti has had trophy-laden spells at other European clubs including AC Milan, Chelsea, Paris St Germain and Bayern Munich.
A former player who was capped 26 times for Italy and played in the 1990 World Cup, Ancelotti has won the Champions League three times as a coach, twice with AC Milan and once with Real Madrid.
Big name players like Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo and, more recently, Brazilian-Spanish player Diego Costa, have also been sued in tax cases, as has Portuguese coach Jose Mourinho. They agreed to pay fines.
Representatives for Ancelotti could not be reached and there was no immediate comment from Everton on the case.
($1 = 0.8916 euros)
(Production: Tim Hart)