The situation with Burnley’s out-of-contract players is “strange”, says Clarets manager Sean Dyche.
The deals of first-team players Jeff Hendrick, Phil Bardsley and Aaron Lennon all end on 30 June and the trio were left out of the squad for Monday’s Premier League game at Manchester City.
Burnley had already announced they will not renew goalkeeper Joe Hart’s deal.
“These situations didn’t need to occur. That is something the chairman and the board must learn from,” said Dyche.
“The Covid crisis has not been helpful for sure but it’s not been the cover story because I’ve been talking about this for 18 months.
“It’s a strange situation with contracts. Players who haven’t been offered things have decided not to finish their contracts.
“I have been here seven and-a-half years. It’s never been an easy ride with finance. It is not my first rodeo. The club has a restricted and stringent look at finance.
“We have had a healthy return but the chairman makes the decisions. I can only advise. Life at Burnley is tough at times.
“We are in very good shape financially. The decisions have been late. That has affected the situation.”
Dyche said on Monday that he is still keen to keep as many players as he can until the end of the season in July.
He picked only seven substitutes, when nine are permitted, before Burnley were thrashed 5-0 at Manchester City on Monday, with a number of those being youth-team players.
He added: “Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood are injured, plus there is Robbie Brady. The club decided to offer contracts very late in the day. The choice is not to be involved.
“At this moment, it’s not easy. All of them I would’ve kept in the short term.
“It’s not ideal but it’s part of management, we’ve still got a great group here.”